The Benefits Administrator position is responsible for researching and planning for the implementation of the day-to-day operations of group benefit programs (group health, dental, vision, short-term and long-term disability, worker’s compensation, life insurance, 401(k) plan and retirement plan). Provide excellent customer service and quality benefit plan information.
Investigate new benefit programs, provide suggestions to improve existing programs, under the direction of the HR Manager, oversee and monitor benefit administration. Research and suggest changes to the design of employee benefit plans. Provide support in the delivery of the benefit programs.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Under the direction of the HR Manager, administers day to day needs of employee benefits programs such as retirement plans; basic hospital, medical, surgical, and major medical plans; term life insurance plans; temporary disability program; and accidental death policies.
* Under the direction of the HR Manager, evaluates and compare existing company benefits with those of other employers by analyzing other plans, surveys and other sources of information. Plans, develops, and/or participates in area and industry surveys. Analyzes results of surveys and develops specific recommendations for review by management.
* Presents recommendations for new plans or to modify existing plans to: (a) maintain company’s competitive position in labor market, and; (b) obtain uniform benefit package for all company locations, where possible.
* Recommends classes of eligible employees for new or modified plans. Develops census data and solicits insurance companies for Quotations. Evaluates quotations and make recommendations to the HR Manager. Develops company cost information for new plans and makes recommendations to the HR Manager concerning sharing of cost between employer and employee.
* Under the direction of the HR Manager, installs approved new plans and changes by preparing announcement material, booklets, and other media for communicating new plans to employees. Conducts employee meetings and arrange for enrollment of employees in optional plans. Conducts employee benefit seminars for local personnel. Makes recommendations to revise and reissue all communications material on benefits from time to time. Advises and counsels HR Manager and employees on existing benefits.
* Under the direction of the HR Manager, prepares, with legal consultation, benefit documentation such as original and amended plan texts, benefit agreements and insurance policies for execution by the Manager. At the direction of the HR Manager, instructs insurance carriers, trustees, and other administrative agencies outside the company to effect changes in benefit programs. Ensures prompt and accurate compliance.
* Assists in development of company bargaining proposals for employee benefits and analyzes union benefits demands. Obtains and prepares cost data for company and union proposals and final settlements.
* Assures company compliance with provisions of Employee Retirement Income Security Act. Under the direction of the HR Manager, prepares or ensures preparation of reports and applications required by law to be filed with federal and state agencies, such as Internal Revenue Service, Department of Labor, insurance commissioners, and other regulatory agencies. Reviews and analyzes changes to state and federal laws pertaining to benefits, and reports necessary or suggested changes to the HR Manager. Coordinates company benefits with government-sponsored programs.
* Assures that existing and new benefit programs are adaptable to standard computer and reporting systems. Develops benefit information and statistical and census data for actuaries, insurance carriers, and management.
* Handles benefit inquiries and complaints to ensure quick, equitable, courteous resolution. Maintains contact in person, and by phone or mail, with hospitals, physicians, insurance companies, employees, and beneficiaries to facilitate proper and complete utilization of benefits for all employees.
* Oversees maintenance of enrollment, application, and claim records for all benefit plans and all personnel benefit files.
* Document and maintain administrative procedures for assigned benefit processes.
Other Collateral Duties: Perform other duties as directed by the HR Manager.
Education and/or Experience:
* A Bachelor’s degree and three to five years related benefits or employee benefit administration experience required.
PHR and CEBS professional designations preferred.
* Must have excellent verbal and written command of the English language, with the ability to read and comprehend written correspondence.
* Ability to write business correspondence.
*Ability to effectively present information in a one-on-one or small group situation to other employees of the organization.
Other Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
* Excellent communication and organization skills are required.
* Project and team management/leadership skills and experience. Proven ability to work effectively in a team environment with associates. Capability of effective planning and priority setting. Ability to manage several complex projects simultaneously while working under pressure to meet deadlines.
* Strong analytical skills and a thorough knowledge of plan designs. Ability to understand, evaluate and make judgment on the proposals (RFPSs)
* Computer proficiency and technical aptitude with the ability to utilize MS Word, Excel, Power Point, Access, and Costpoint DELTEK are required.
* Knowledge of benefit contract language.
* Knowledge of all pertinent federal and state regulations, filing and compliance requirements both adopted and pending affecting employee benefit programs, including ERISA, COBRA, FMLA, ADA, Section 125, Workers, Compensation, Medicare, and Social Security and DOL requirements. Familiarity with overseas regulations including DBA also required.
* Must be even-tempered and work well with others; have excellent interpersonal and coaching skills.
* Must be willing to cross train into all HR disciplines.
* Working experience with McNamara O’Hara Service Contract Act and unionized employees preferred.
* Must demonstrate through past employment, a high degree of personal integrity, professionalism, professional ethic.
* Must be able to adhere to strict confidentiality.
* Maintain regular office hours and adhere to company's attendance policies; be available to work outside of regular working hours when operational necessity demands it; be available to travel in and outside of Alaska.
* Maintain knowledge of legal requirements and government reporting regulations affecting human resources functions and ensures policies, procedures, and reporting is in compliance.
* Regularly required to sit, walk and stand; talk and hear; use hands repetitively to finger, handle, feel or operation standard office equipment; reach with hands and arms; ability to lift up to 25 lbs.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
We are an equal opportunity M/F/Disability/Veteran Employer