Responsible for aircraft ground handling (follow-me, marshaling, To include routine inspection and maintenance of Aerospace Ground Equipment AGE) and Ground Support Equipment (GSE). Use appropriate technical orders, tooling, equipment and material to accomplish maintenance functions including but not limited to the following: inspection, troubleshooting, repairing, removing and replacing components on all War Reserve Material (WRM) AGE-GSE equipment. May perform welding, abrasive blasting and painting of equipment.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Guide a variety of fixed and rotary wing aircraft from taxiways to designated parking.
• Operate a "follow me" vehicle.
• During aircraft/helicopter start-up and shutdown, perform fireguard duties, to include:
o Maintaining constant awareness of aircraft.
o Inspect/operate a 150-lb. fire extinguisher.
• As marshaller, utilize international aircraft marshaling signals to communicate with the pilots.
• Direct incoming and outgoing aircraft near terminal area to assist pilot’s ground maneuvering of the aircraft using hand / light signals or drives light truck with guiding sign.
• Secure aircraft in parking position with chocks, mooring cables, chains, etc.
• Operate Staircase vehicle(s), position boarding platforms to unload or load aircrew and aircraft passengers
• Operate aerospace ground equipment (AGE) / ground support equipment (GSE) such as external power sources, Hi/Low pressure air carts, LOX/GOX carts.
• Examine aircraft tires for condition.
• May assist with install / retrieve drag chutes and send them to designated shop for repacking.
• Maintain ramps and taxiways free of FOD; may include walking ramps and taxiways.
• May be the first response in the event of an emergency to perform immediate rescue procedures and assist other emergency crews as they arrive.
• Diagnose malfunctions and repairs on AGE and GSE:
o Advise and train lower grade workers on diagnosis and repair of less complex repair/maintenance problems, inspect and approve completed maintenance actions,
o Solve repair problems by studying drawings, wiring diagrams and schematics, and technical publications;
o Use automated maintenance data systems to monitor maintenance trends, analyze equipment requirements, maintain equipment records, and document maintenance actions.
o Analyze, diagnose, and repair AGE-GSE using conventional and digital multi-meters, voltmeters, ohmmeters, frequency counters, oscilloscopes, circuit card testers, transistor testers, and hand tools.
• Maintain external fuel and grounding systems.
• Perform scheduled and unscheduled maintenance on AGE-GSE, inspect, test, and operate AGE-GSE to determine equipment serviceability and proper operation, service equipment with fuel, oil, water, coolant, hydraulic fluid, compressed air and gasses, diagnose mechanical and electronic circuitry malfunctions using visual and auditory senses, test equipment, and technical publications.
• Disassemble and assemble malfunctioning AGE-GSE equipment accessories and components.
• Remove, disassemble repair, clean, treat for corrosion, assemble, and reinstall AGE-GSE components and accessories.
• Stencil and mark AGE-GSE in accordance with technical publications; store.
• Handle, label, use, and dispose of hazardous materials and waste in accordance with all state, local, and federal environmental standards and regulations.
• Prepare AGE-GSE for use, storage, shipping, and mobility deployment.
• Operate, clean, inspect, and service general purpose and AGE-GSE towing vehicles.
• Maintain and update paper and electronic equipment records, provide dispatch service for AGE-GSE, including positioning equipment to support aircraft maintenance and flying operations.
• Practice good housekeeping, tool control, Foreign Object Damage (FOD) prevention, and safety at all times.
• May perform GSE Servicer duties as required.
Education and/or Experience
• Completion of Secondary School.
• Must be experienced in all facets of airfield operations.
• Knowledge of radio communication protocols on airports.
• Must have a minimum of six (6) years of direct hands-on experience in aircraft ground handling (at least two ) of the past five  years must be in flight-line operations).
• Must be thoroughly familiar with aerospace ground equipment (AGE) utilized in support of ground handling, use of DOD technical data, forms and reporting requirements.
Language Skills, Must be able to:
• Read, write and understand the English language.
• Understand/interpret verbal and written instructions to perform required duties.
• Talk, listen and understand radio transmissions in a noisy environment.
• Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, percent, and to draw / interpret bar graphs.
• Must have basic knowledge of computers and Microsoft office suite.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
• Possession of or ability to qualify for AGE-GSE Special Certification Roster for the following:
o Certified Authorized to sign all Condition Tags
o Certified Authorized to sign Not Repairable This Station (NRTS) Code 1
o Certified Authorized to sign NRTS Code 9
o Certified to Clear Red X
• Must have a valid Driver’s license and maintain a safe driving record.
• Possession of or ability to qualify for flight line driver Certificate of Competency mandatory.
• Ability to obtain and maintain a valid security clearance.
• Must be able to perform heavy manual labor including: bending, stooping, reaching, digging, carrying, lifting, pulling and pushing heavy objects weighing up to 75 lbs.
• Requires manual dexterity of both hands and feet to perform activities such as: lifting overhead, twisting and bending while lifting, and repetitive arm motion below, at, and above shoulder level.
• Able to climb ladders and stairs to perform duties / responsibilities while wearing personal protective equipment.
• Able to work in confined spaces.
• The noise level in the work environment may be very loud.
• Work is performed outside, on the flight line. Employees may be exposed to normal environmental conditions Sun, Rain, Heat, and Cold.